You have a beautiful baby and you want to be the best mom you can possibly be, which includes breastfeeding. As a first time mom – or first time breastfeeding mom if in times past you quickly reached for the can of formula – you may not know that there are a number of gadgets that can make your life a lot easier. There are essentially five must have items for first time breastfeeding moms you do not want to be without.
1. Purchase a good quality breast pump. The wisdom of pumping breast milk becomes apparent when your husband can take over some of the middle of the night feedings and you can get a bit of sleep. Breastfeeding does not have to be interrupted if you can pump your milk throughout the day as needed, especially if you are going back to work. Opt for an electric pump or a manual one, a dual pump or one that pumps the milk from one breast at a time.
2. Invest in a couple of high quality nursing bras. They might appear to be a frivolous expenditure at the onset, but if you remember that you are not only increasing your comfort but also protecting your figure, you quickly realize that nursing bras are must have accessories for breastfeeding moms.
3. Buy a good supply of nursing pads. Breastfeeding moms may be surprised to learn just how much breast milk might leak from their breasts while they are not actually feeding their baby. This may result in embarrassing stains on the front of shirts or blouses, and in some cases forces you to wear a jacket in the height of a heat wave.
4. Pick out two high quality breastfeeding blouses or tops, one formal and one casual. They are just as attractive as regular blouses or tops, but they make the nuts and bolts of breastfeeding while in public a lot easier. Sure, you could just discreetly pull up your shirt or blouse, but why? Later on you spend an extraordinary amount of time getting yourself dressed and settled again, making the whole experience more of a chore than an enjoyable experience for you and your baby.
5. Get a baby sling. Your back and shoulders will ache when you have to hold a growing baby in an exact position on a consistent basis. Avoid this pain simply by having a sling help to keep your baby positioned in just the right way. Best of all, if you are out and about, you can still go about some tasks while breastfeeding her, and once again this little gadget transforms breastfeeding into an enjoyable activity rather than a demanding chore that is to be gotten rid of as soon as possible.
There are other little odds and ends that many breastfeeding moms swear by. It is up to you which frills you enjoy and which little extras will make the bonding experience a great time for you. The foregoing not withstanding, it is highly recommended that you do not skimp on the basics.